Wednesday, October 15, 2014

A very spiritual day

My sister is amazing. I have one sister, and I couldn't have hand-picked a better one. She is wonderful. Did I mention how much I love her? After my husband and kids, she's my favorite person in the whole world, and that's saying something since one of my sons is named after Jason's grandma and after a couple of uncles. (I've never had a little girl to name after my sister. Not yet anyway.) Well, this fantastic woman is serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints! There are many many things that need to happen to prepare missionaries before they head out, and I had the pleasure of being a part of some of her preparation.

  We started at the Distribution Center, getting temple clothes and such for the exciting day when she will enter the temple. We went to Deseret Book next and got her a stellar CTR (choose the right) ring along with several other things that she needed. (What was your scripture pen called, sis? A dipsy-doodle??? Lol!) We then went to the Joseph Smith Building for lunch. That's where these pictures of my sister with the temple came from. It's a great view! (You can decide whether I mean the building or the girl!)
 We then changed into dresses and got in the standby line for the Women's meeting. (I was going to type "the women's session of General Conference" but that wouldn't have been very accurate I guess.) And luckily, WE GOT IN!!!! :D
It was so wonderful to go sit in the presence of the leaders of the church with my mother and sister and among thousands of others that share our same excitement for their revelation for the church. These photos are of us in the tabernacle waiting to see if our lucky number comes up.
 We had such a wonderful time together. At one point, my mom started crying. My sister laughed a little and linked arms with her... and then I started crying. Then we were all laughing. She linked arms with me also. Good thing we had a rock to lean on! There were all sorts of jokes about inside out oreos after that since we were the softies on either side of the hard cookie.
 My husband always teases us by saying, "You can find an attractive woman behind every tree in Wyoming," because he just doesn't think there are that many trees. Well boy did we prove him wrong! We are some good looking ladies! (Of course, my mom is a transplant from Utah, but we still count it!)
 My sis and mom had never been to Cheesecake Factory. (WHAT? Terrible, I know!) So I had to get them some cheesecake after the meeting. It was the first building we had entered all day that wasn't playing church music! If that isn't a wonderful day, I don't know what is. (Wait, wait, wait... we did briefly go in a store and purchase umbrellas because it was raining like CRAZY all day long.) Anyway, they approved of the cheesecake. ;)
We also got to perform a couple acts of kindness along the way, including inviting an old lady to come sit by us when she was alone and giving away an umbrella during the downpour. It was so nice to live Christ-like while adoring our Heavenly Father. I can't wait for the next few steps we must take to ready my fantastic sister for her mission and the memories we will make before she dedicates 18 months of her life to the people of England and to her God and Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment