Monday, February 24, 2014

New Year's 2013-14

After Christmas I desperately needed some time off. We packed up the kids and headed to Salt Lake City, Utah. I know that is just in the same state and doesn't seem like a real vacation maybe, but we stayed in a hotel, meaning we had a pool and a maid, and we got to eat out instead of me doing the cooking. We had a certificate for a free night at this hotel, so we only had to pay for one night, which made this trip totally do-able! Yay! (We got the certificate because the hot tub in our room was broken when we stayed there for our anniversary. That was a great trip with just the two of us.)

We went to City Creek center and let the kids play on the playground there.



It was a really fun little place. We also saw this awesome fire/water show!
We stopped and got ice cream, and I took the kids while Jason went into the Microsoft store. He was so excited to go. It was my little gift to him that day. He came out of there just chattering away about all the wonders he had seen. I love my little computer nerd! :)

We also went to see the lights in Temple Square since they leave them up until New Year's! With how busy December was, I wasn't sure we were going to make it to see the lights, so this was awesome to really make it there. 

 I really need to teach Seth how to take pictures with our camera so we can get a picture of Jason and I together. :-/ This next picture is of Kai asking questions about the nativity we're looking at while I answer.
 Jason took the kids to look at all the displays in the visitor's center while I stood in line for the Christus display. The kids were fascinated. They're just too cute in their snow pants, looking into the face of their Savior.
 While on this vacation, we went ice skating. It's one of Seth's favorite things to do in the winter, even more than sledding. And this year, Kai was big enough to be able to try it out for the first time! :D He was really hesitant, but he got better the longer we were there. He only had one fall the entire time! Jason and I switched off on which child we were helping at the time, because Kai was more taxing on us than Seth was. We are in skates and on the ice in this picture.
All in all, I think we tuckered them out, wouldn't you say?
But it wasn't over yet! On the way home, we stopped at a fun center and let them goof around a little.


That night was New Year's Eve, so they got to stay up late. I'd made this little project earlier.
Every time the clock struck a time written on a balloon, one of the boys got to pop the coordinating balloon.

Confetti stars and a piece of paper would explode out of the balloon, and we would do whatever the paper said. One of them told us to eat a fabulous dessert (which I had prepared earlier). One of them told us to play Candyland as a family. One of them said to break out the glow sticks and have a dance party in the dark!
The last balloon's paper said to get everything ready for the big countdown! We watched the countdown in New York on TV, wished each other a happy new year, and put the kiddos in their beds to sleep at 10pm. Jason and I then relaxed, cuddled up, and watched a movie together. We also played You Don't Know Jack on the Wii. :) It was the perfect New Year's Eve.

No comments:

Post a Comment