Thursday, May 1, 2014

Foster Care Placement

I have slacked on the blog writing front. I know. I apologize. But I have a good excuse! We got a placement through foster care! :D :D :D The child (heretofore known as S) is younger than Kai, which has moved him into the middle child position. He's not happy about it. Between taking S everywhere S needs to go, filling out paperwork, and showing extra attention to S and Kai to squash any sibling rivalry, I've been terribly busy. It's a good type of busy, and I've enjoyed most of it. I just wish Kai were enjoying it also.

Seth, on the other hand, is SO EXCITED. He loves having S around, and he loves having a sibling to sit on either side of him at all times. He steps in between Kai and S when needed, and I'm so grateful for his kind spirit. He wants more than anything for everyone to get along. If it were up to him, he'd have a dozen younger siblings to take care of. I think Kai wouldn't have a problem with another sibling if that sibling came to our family as a baby, because he would have time to adjust to the idea before having to share his brother or his toys. I'm sure things will even out as time goes by.

This is not to say that Kai hasn't had his good moments. He often is found sharing his toys and helping out with S. He just asks me to do things I can't, like last night when he wanted me to sleep on the floor next to his bed. I told him I would put S to sleep and then come sleep next to him. He was disappointed and tried to talk me out of putting S to bed. I went anyway, and when I returned, he no longer wanted me there. I was a little heart broken. Tonight, he asked if I was going to kiss S to sleep. I simply said, "Maybe." I couldn't say yes and break his heart, and I couldn't say no and lie to him. I'll soon take him on a mommy-son date. We both need one.



So that is where my time has gone instead of going to the blog. Even the things we've done that haven't directly been connected to S's situation are hard to post about, because S is in almost every picture. I've sat down to write several times, but there is so little I can share about S's situation, and I would never do anything to jeopardize S's safety, including posting too much on the internet about S. All I can say is that this was an emergency placement. We had 3 hours notice before S was in our home. And I can say that working through some things with S has taken a lot of love, which there is always plenty of. Once S has been in our care a little longer, I may be able to post more, like a picture with S's face blurred out, or S's gender even. Until then, we are just happy to have S here. S really is a joy in our home.

So here are a few pictures that I can share! :)

 Soccer season is back! Yay!
 We went to Tucanos (our favorite restaurant) to celebrate S being with us. This worked out great, because we got the opportunity to see what foods S preferred since Tucanos has a huge selection. While we were there, Kai did this with his tongs. I don't think he realized how funny this was until I laughed and everyone else joined me!
 Jason saw a couple of friends from New Jersey while we were there! It was great!
 Yes, I got a close-up of the drool when Kai fell asleep in the van. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment