Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Happy Memorial Day!

It's been a long, fun, memorable Memorial Day. We went to Denny's for breakfast and had a terrible experience there. Serves us right when we are loyal IHOP customers. Lol!

Anyway, we went to several garage sales after breakfast, which we didn't do very much last year at all, so it was fun to go again. We also played a few games together, such as Uno and Guess Who. (We bought Guess Who at a garage sale earlier in the day, so of course we had to teach Seth how to play today!) 

We then went out to teach Seth how to ride his bike with no training wheels. We were at the park near our house because it has wide, flat walking paths and thick grass, so if he lost control, he could steer onto the grass and have a soft landing. It worked out really well, and Seth did amazing for his first time.
I was going to upload a video of Seth riding his bike, but for some reason, blogger doesn't see it and thus can't upload it. So here is the link to YouTube.

On the way home, we had a really scary experience though. Seth was approaching the sidewalk from the walking path, and I asked him to slow down. He tried but panicked a little. He ended up speeding up (because he got the peddling mixed up, he said.) He flew off the sidewalk! I don't know how he stayed upright since the drop off the sidewalk right there is pretty huge. But it's a good thing he stayed upright, because a van was right there and had to squeal its tires to not hit him. Had he fallen over, he would have ended up under the van. Had the driver not been paying attention, he would have ended up under the van. (Seriously, I don't know how she stopped in time. She had NO warning before he was inches from her bumper.) She kept apologizing, but I kept thanking her for paying attention! She saved my child's life!
I've never felt so helpless as a mother. I was jogging right behind him, but even as close as I was, there was nothing I could do. I just watched helplessly as all my worst nightmares came true.
Seth crashed into the curb on the other side of the street, and I immediately ran over and hugged the stuffing out of him! He also kept apologizing, but it wasn't his fault either. There was no malice in me and nothing for anyone to apologize for. I was filled with nothing but gratitude that everything was okay at that moment! The safety and security of my family is something that is in my prayers nightly. I don't know what I would do without Seth. Okay, now I'm crying just thinking about it, so I'm going to stop.

Here's a happy picture so we can move on to good thoughts! Everyone loves popsicles, right? :D
I'm sad I had to cut S out of that picture... S's face was so cute in this photo!

Later that day, we grilled some chicken and steak kabobs that I had marinated earlier. It was so good! We had corn on the cob and fresh baked bread, and it was really amazing.

I feel bad that we didn't make it to a cemetery. My grandpas are both war veterans and have both passed away. There was no way to make it to both grave sites. It would have been stretching it to make it to one grave site since they are both a bit of a drive. I seriously regret not going. Next year we will do better.
I love this country and all it stands for. My heart warms when I am able to teach my children about why we say the Pledge of Allegiance and why we put our hand over our heart during our national anthem. This country is amazing, and we are so blessed to be here! I served my mission in Spain, and I love that country also, but the United States of America will always be home, and I will always count my blessings that I am afforded the freedom, liberty, and opportunity that comes with this country. I know that I wouldn't have any of these things without the brave men and women that protect this blessing that is our country. Their bravery and love is insurmountable. My deepest gratitude isn't enough for them. They deserve more. And those that gave their lives for my family's safety, to the families of those lost... there are no words. Thank you. I wish there were a more ample way to say what is in my heart. My security is due to your selfless service and sacrifice. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment