Friday, June 13, 2014

A surprisingly good day

I woke up after a horrible nights sleep with plenty of body aches. Ugh. I really wanted to cancel everything and crawl back in bed. It didn't get better after I bathed the boys and realized I didn't have time to bathe S and myself before we needed to leave the house. It was at that point that I REALLY considered calling the friend I was to meet and nixing our picnic lunch at the park with our kids. I cowboyed up, took a shower with S (which was a first) so that we could fit everything in, skipped breakfast so I had time to pack a lunch, argued with Kai about which bike he should ride (an argument he won,) and then took off for the park. I was still about 15 minutes late, but when I got there, my friend was nowhere to be found. As I sat there feeling sorry for me with my aching body and lack of sleep, I waited for my friend while the kids played. And then my friend came, and I was pointedly humbled when I saw her tears.

She's been going through a very hard time lately. I'm so glad I didn't cancel on her. She kept apologizing for crying, but her tears helped me to come out of myself, to open my eyes and look beyond my own nose. Not that I want my friend to have a bad day, but I think we often hide our emotions when we could be connecting with others. We hide our hurt when we could be sharing our story. These friends are moving, and I'm dying knowing they won't be around much longer. We originally met this family because Kai and their son of the same age were both in head-shape correcting helmets at the same time, and we were both new to the ward. They have a daughter that has been a wonderful friend for Seth. I haven't told my children that their friends are moving away. I don't know what to say, but I need to tell them soon. :(

After the park and a picnic lunch, the kids threw rocks in the pond. This beautiful picture was taken about a one minute walk from our house.


When we got home, the kids went down for quiet time and so did I! Jason was home early from work, which was great. We did a little cleaning and then headed out to Deseret Industries. Tradition states that the kids get to pick out a piece of clothing for Dad each Father's Day. They have a blast doing it. You don't get to know what we picked out yet! Sunday you'll get to know, as will Jason. Oh the suspense! After massaging Seth's legs (growing pains...) we put the kids to bed and finished a mural I've been working on in the toy room! Ta da!

That is a six foot shelf, just for size reference. I think it goes well with this window scarf!
I have some other things to decorate the other wall, and I'm excited to get to it!

So a day that should have been terrible ended up being great. I love when that happens!


2 comments:

  1. You are so talented a great eye. I was so glad you stopped by great having one on one. Great news I'm not sure but I think Steve may be made an Elder this Sunday I'm having a hard time containing myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Judy! That is so wonderful! :D You two have been such a great example for me throughout my life, and you just continue to amaze me. I was so happy to see you the other day. Please please please let us know if we can do anything for you.

      Delete