Thursday, April 10, 2014

Dispelling Satan's Darkness

This morning, we did something different for our scripture reading. Seth asked if we could read a book I made for him when he was little. I simply bought pictures at Deseret Book, looked up scriptures to go with each picture and wrote them on the corresponding picture, laminated the pictures, then put them on the rings in chronological order. The book is pretty beat up now since about 4 years have passed since I made it, but it's still holding together. Anyway, we got to this page:
We read the scriptures about the resurrection. We talked about the time that passed between the resurrection and Joseph Smith's first vision. Then, we read the scriptures for the first vision, including the parts where Satan tried to stop Joseph from praying. If you don't know, here's Satan's efforts in this moment as quoted by Joseph himself:


Joseph Smith - History 1:15
 After I had retired to the place where I had previously designed to go, having looked around me, and finding myself alone, I kneeled down and began to offer up the desires of my heart to God. I had scarcely done so, when immediately I was seized upon by some power which entirely overcame me, and had such an astonishing influence over me as to bind my tongue so that I could not speak. Thick darkness gathered around me, and it seemed to me for a time as if I were doomed to sudden destruction.

We stopped at this moment to talk about why Satan would do this and whether we thought Joseph was afraid. We decided he was probably terrified. But I assured Seth that, even though Joseph was afraid, he was also brave. And then we read this verse:

Joseph Smith - History 1:16-17
But, exerting all my powers to call upon God to deliver me out of the power of this enemy which had seized upon me, and at the very moment when I was ready to sink into despair and abandon myself to destruction—not to an imaginary ruin, but to the power of some actual being from the unseen world, who had such marvelous power as I had never before felt in any being—just at this moment of great alarm, I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me. It no sooner appeared than I found myself delivered from the enemy which held me bound.

Seth, Kai, and I all talked about what the light was that appeared. (If you don't know, it's the light that accompanies Jesus, Heavenly Father, and any other heavenly being that appears to anyone on this earth.) I told them Jesus was coming to save Joseph. And that's when I marveled at this statement by Seth:

"So Jesus's light can get rid of Satan's darkness?"


My answer was simply, "Every time." Now, if you know me, you know I cry over gospel related things pretty easily, because I know how important they are, and I know without a doubt that true happiness only comes through my Savior and my loving Heavenly Father. I have sincerely tried to convey this to Seth and Kai, but they are young and don't yet realize how important this safe harbor will be for them in the world. Statements like this one from Seth let me know that he will be okay when the struggles come, because no one goes through this world without a story to tell or an obstacle to overcome. I hope he remembers when he faces a foe that Jesus's light can get rid of Satan's darkness, every time.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Ashley you are still a missionary to me I love you. The boys are so lucky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a wonderful compliment. I want to be an influence for good, but most good deeds we do, we don't know we are doing them, and we never get to see the wonderful results of our actions. That's the great part about raising children: we get to see the development and the growth at every stage. The boys and I were thinking we'd come visit you soon! I'll give you a call! :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your testimony Ashley. And I love this book idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was my friend's idea! I surround myself with creative people, and every once in a while, it rubs off on me! :)

      Delete