Sunday, March 9, 2014

Home, home on the range

Yep, I grew up "where the buffalo roam". No really. This is about 30 seconds from my childhood home.

That's where I've been the passed few days. My sister (whom I adore) was playing her last basketball games of her high school career in the regional tournament held nearby, so my family gathered for the event. (We were missing one brother who couldn't make it.) She did amazingly well in the 3 games she played while I was there.
 
 I know the kids shouldn't have a favorite aunt, but what can I say? She's my only sister, and she's worth looking up to. I'm glad they have her around to be such a good example for them.
We had some good times with the cousins also. Check out this good looking bunch!
 They all sacked out and watched Spirit together for their sleepover. Aunt H and I sleep on the floor next to them, and it's just really fun. (Aunt H and I usually end up talking late into the night after the movie, and it makes me feel like I'm a kid again.) My boys always ask when we will do it again the instant we leave.
 There is one cousin missing from the above pictures, but he's the oldest, so he was downstairs playing games with the adults. We LOVE board games and card games. (Notice the stack of games on the counter in the background.) Family, Pepsi and board games: it's like heaven at a kitchen table.
 Seth's allergies started acting up because of the dog you see in the picture above and another big, black one that are owned by a couple of my brothers. Seth LOVES dogs, so I'm glad he got to be around them, but I always feel bad for him when he's not feeling well. This trip made me consider doing the allergy shots again, and I talked with him about it for a while. He's as torn on the decision as I am. We had to leave about an hour early to go to my sister's game one day because Seth just couldn't be in the house with the dogs anymore. I drove to the basketball court and then let the kids watch a show in the van until it was time to go in. Here we are in the van, waiting for the basketball game to start. Notice Seth's puffy, teary eyes. It breaks my heart. And this is after 3 different medications.
Seriously the weekend I needed to just unwind for a bit. We had such a good time. It was one of those tender mercies when I got a text message from my mom telling me about my sister's basketball tournament. I packed us up and we were on the road in less than 24 hours after receiving that text, no joke. I'm not complaining about my life; I love it! But sometimes you need a change. This was exactly what I needed. Thank goodness for family.

Oh give me a home
where the buffalo roam
and the deer and the antelope play,
where seldom is heard
a discouraging word
and the skies are not cloudy all day.

Home, home on the range...
                                                       -John Denver

2 comments:

  1. You and your sister look SO much a like! What a fun trip, and how neat that you could all be there for her like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to watch her play. And it was so good to see the family again. We haven't been there in a long while. And yes, we look a lot alike. I'm just an older version of her for sure. lol! But our personalities and interests are way different. (For instance, I'm just not that good at basketball. lol!)

      Delete