Thursday, March 27, 2014

There's something you should know about Jason.

We have been at the Utah Adoption Council's Spring Adoption Conference for the last 2 days, and we are exhausted. Because I'm so tired, I don't think I could do justice to a post about that awesome, awesome conference. So I will post about that tomorrow. Until then, here's a short story you need to know about Jason:

The birth of our second son was not as smooth as the birth of our first son. It all turned out great, and the experience gave both of us a renewed sense of love for each other and our children. (Not that it had ever waned...) Through the rough patch during the birth and my stay in the hospital, Jason couldn't have been more helpful, loving, caring, nurturing, etc. He just took care of Kai and me so perfectly. He was so gentle with our newborn baby. It was amazing to witness.

We were talking to the nurses at their station, and I think the lights and noise got to newborn Kailand, because he started to fuss. Jason automatically offered to take the baby back to the room, noting that I was having fun talking; it wasn't even a hesitation in his mind. As soon as he was in the room, one nurse turned to me with a mission in her eyes.

Nurse: Okay, seriously, where did you find a man like that?

Me: BYU, of course!
Nurse: No really...
Me: Really! He was the first guy I met at BYU.
Different Nurse: We see men in here all the time, and few of them are this tender with their first baby, let alone their second. He's awesome!
Nurse: I've been looking for a man like that, and there just aren't any!
Me: I know. He really is a rare gem. I don't know what to tell you. I'm just blessed.
Nurse: But how did you meet? Did you hit it off right away?
Me: Actually, no. It was kind of funny. It took us 4 months before we dated, even though we were friends and liked each other.
Nurse: How did you know he was so awesome? How did you know he was different from other guys?
Me: I just followed the Spirit; you have to follow the Lord in really important decisions like that, and I was willing to look past imperfections that didn't matter. I think a lot of good guys are overlooked because of a flaw that doesn't matter. You have to know what matters and what doesn't.
Nurse: Hmm, can you come with me and just pick out a guy for me?

We all had a good laugh at that. Those nurses really were stellar. When I went back to the room shortly after that, I took a couple of pictures of Jason cuddling with Kai and then hugged them both. I am just so grateful for Jason. The Lord put us together, and I can never repay Him for that, let alone all the other blessings He has given me. And Jason continues to astound people with his thoughtfulness toward me and the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment