Tuesday, March 18, 2014

St. Paddy and some service

Happy St. Patrick's Day! This isn't a big holiday for us. We put on some green clothes and eat green eggs and ham for one of the meals. That's about it. Lol! I took a picture of the green eggs and ham, but it didn't look too appetizing, so I won't post it here. Those leprechauns did a good job dying our eggs and milk green though! The little ones were pretty put off by it, and they won't drink the milk unless it is in a sippy cup so they can't see it. Funny boys!

Today I was able to sign up for a couple of service opportunities that I am excited about!

First, I found out today that I get to take treats/snacks in to the expectant parent meeting in American Fork. What do I bring?!? Do they want salty? Sweet? More of a meal? Something original? Something normal, like chocolate chip cookies? Jason and I have been brainstorming for the last hour or two (about as long as we've known we were doing this tomorrow) and we aren't quite sure which direction to take it. I know I'll be doing it again in the future, so this isn't the only opportunity. Some ideas we've had are:


-nice bread with a spread of some sort, grapes, strawberries, blueberries, and a plate of brownies
-a veggie platter with humus, a bowl of olives, a bowl of fruit, and a plate of my famous no-bake cookies
-a plate of my famous no-bake cookies, a veggie platter, and some tostada appetizers

Not sure which direction to take it. Hmmm...

The other service opportunity is on Sunday. We will be bringing some supplies to a church (not of our faith) in South Jordan to make up little lunches to be handed out at the homeless shelter. They are making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and making individual baggies of fruit loops and then putting it all together with a bottle of water in a lunch sack. This is a great opportunity for us, because it's simple enough that our children can help out! I've been looking for something simple like this. We can't really take them to build a house, and we can't designate 4 solid hours to a project because I don't know what my children's temperaments are going to be for that long, so this will be perfect for our little family. I really do want to teach them to love people in general and see the good in everyone, because EVERYONE has some good in them. I love finding out about things like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment